Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sorry I've been late to post on Chapters 3 and 4, but I had a few thoughts/questions there first before I go on to Chapter 5...

I noticed something interesting about my own understanding of the story of Nicodemus when I read it this time - I just realized that the story ends without letting us know whether or not Nicodemus responded to Jesus with belief or unbelief. I've heard the story many times, and I guess I always thought that Jesus' comments about being born again were confusing to Nicodemus, but then he believed after Jesus' explanation - but the text doesn't say that. It makes me wonder what the end of the story is - did Nicodemus believe? Or did he continue with the other Pharisees in trying to trip up Jesus at every turn...

Moving on to Chapter 5... You bring up an interesting question Christine, about which came first in this miracle - faith or healing. If I'm reading it correctly, I think that Jesus' healing came first, and the man's faith was in response to his healing. I think that many of Jesus early miracles were healing/miracle first, then people having faith as a response - which makes sense if we remember that Jesus was using these miracles to show people that he is God. And it also makes those miracles where healing comes first (like the official's son in Chapter 4) even more amazing - that these people were able to believe and have faith because of what they saw Jesus doing for others, before seeing Jesus act in their own lives. It reminds me that we are currently living in a time like that - where we need to show Jesus to others through the lives that we lead - and then perhaps they will choose to let Jesus into their own lives too.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it is interesting that John doesn't tell us the end of the Nicodemus story (although as Kara said a few wks ago other scripture points to his ultimate conversion). I think we can learn something from the fact that even with tons of knowledge AND a personal encounter with Jesus, Nicodemus didn't believe immediately. Yet, the Samaritan women did believe immediately. What does it take for true belief?

    ReplyDelete