As I was thinking about the man at the pool, it struck me that his focus was on just the supposed healing properties of the water. (His response to Jesus question in v.6- "do you want to get well?" was to say that noone was there to help him into the water.) He didn't see Jesus as a healer, and I feel like that I sometimes forget that he is my healer, both short term and infinitely. I can focus on so many other things to make me "well", things that are temporary and material, like my marriage going the way I think it should be, my kids making all the right choices, my health being great, etc. I forget that true health is based on my realtionship with the Lord and my complete dependence on him for everything.
Also, when Jesus met him the 2nd time and told him to stop sinning or something worse would happen (worse than his previous illness), I think he was referring to eternal damnation. It's a reminder not to forget about why we have eternal security in the first place. It's so easy to focus on the less important things and lose my eternal perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment