Monday, February 27, 2012

Week 6

Thanks Julie, Tammy and Allyson for your thoughts on the Holy Spirit.  I miss hearing from the rest of you. 

I love how John teaches us that the Holy Spirit lives WITH us and IN us FOREVER.  My “helper.”  It is reassuring to me that Jesus tells us that we will have the Holy Spirit right after He tells us that if we love Him we will obey Him – that seems impossible until we realize we have a helper.  I need a helper.  The Spirit can teach me, remind me, control me, produce fruit in me. But I need to acknowledge the Spirit, listen to the Spirit, yield to the Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is one of those hard things to describe.  I think the analogy of the wind is so good – you can’t see the wind, but you can see the effects of the wind.  I can’t see the Spirit, I can’t understand the Sprit, I can’t even explain the Spirit to others – but I know when I see the effects of the Spirit.  I know when I feel the Spirit.  I know when I learn something that had to have only come from the Spirit.   I am so thankful for the verse in Galatians which lists the fruit of the Spirit so that we have something tangible to look for, to pray for and to see to attain. 
This week we will do John chapter 17.  Here we see Jesus praying – where else can you get a more intimate look into Jesus’ heart.  First Jesus prays for Himself, then He prays for His disciples and lastly He prayers for all other Christians (you and me included).  Let’s focus on the last part where Jesus prays for us.  Look at what Jesus prays – does this surprise you?  Think about the difference between uniformity and unity.  Think about unity – what is it, how is it possible, what is the result of it?  Look at Philippians 2:1-4.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part of this prayer is when Jesus prays that the love God has for himself will also be in us. That is so amazing to me; that we are given the same love that God the Father has for God the Son!!! I don't think our minds can comprehend how much we are loved.

    In thinking about the difference between uniformity and unity, I am reminded that God isn't asking for cookie cutter believers. He has given us all such unique and diverse strenths, traits, gifts and passions that we can all bring to and share with the body of Christ. However, with this beautiful diversity comes a challenge. The passion we sometimes feel for certain issues can at times be very strong. We are asked in our unity and like mindedness to to be humble and to value others and their interests above ourselves. I think that means that we need to sometimes give up the need to always be right, to prove our point, or even to be understood completely. The unbelieving world would then see less conflict within the church and would be more drawn to something attractive and loving. Jesus is asking us to be unified so that the world may believe.

    I think that this can be a controversial topic as some would think it sounds like being milk toast and not standing for what we believe and being a warrior for Christ and the values he represents in a fallen (and quickly falling) world. I'd love to hear others thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better late than never in my post! ;)
    Julie, I liked your comments about the 'cookie cutter believer'. I think it is easy to try to fall in line with how we are 'supposed' to be as Christians. I have written off to the side of my Bible on Phil. 2:2-4 that this is the 'authenticity of being Christian'. Julie's words are encouraging to me and a good reminder that we all do have unique and diverse strengths, traits, gifts and passions. It is our job to bring these to the table whether that is in the church setting or everyday. "I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity..." (v.23). I think complete unity is such a difficult thing to achieve but so important. The splits in churches and conflicts are so difficult on not only the members of the church but we are so visual, under a microscope, to the unbeliever and this is what they are looking for unfortunately. "I have made you known to them,...in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them." (v.26)
    Have a great week everyone!

    ReplyDelete