Verse 1 and verse 27 of this chapter are a couple of the most comforting verses of scripture. I really love the words "don't let your heart be troubled". My heart has such a tendency to be troubled by my lack of belief. I fear all kinds of things and Christ is telling me I don't need to fear. He is leaving me a peace if I just believe. (Lord, help my unbelief.) He is assuring his disciples (and us) that we will not be left behind, that he is preparing a place for us that is beyond our wildest imagination, and that while we wait in this troubling and sinful world, he will give us his peace and his Holy Spirit to strengthen and encourage us. It's such a cool thing to meditate on the fact that he is preparing our future, eternal home and will come fetch us and bring us there when the time is right. But he is letting them (and us) know that the ONLY way for this to occur is through him and our belief/relationship with him.
Verses 15 and 23 are also very good verses to sit on. "if you love me, you will obey my commands......anyone who does not love me, will not obey". This is not saying that we prove our love by obeying, or that we obey to gain his love, or even you WILL obey my commands because you love me. I think that what it's saying is that if we truly love him, meaning we believe and understand the sacrifice he has made and the way he unconditionally loves us no matter our own shortcomings, the what will flow from us is a natural obedience from the thankfulness that is overwheming.
"Ask anything in my name and I will do it." I am hoping that some of you will share thoughts on this verse. What does it mean, exactly, to ask "in his name", and how does he "do it" when we dont always see from our perspective the answer to prayer???
No comments:
Post a Comment