I really enjoyed Julie's thoughts. Thank you for your comments. I also found those verses to be particularly comforting. This entire chapter is so full of promises. Verse 2-preparing a place for us, verses 13 & 14 (see below), 18-he will not leave us like orphans, 25-the promise of the Holy Spirit, and 27 which is my favorite in this chapter " I give you a peace, the kind of peace that only I can give. It isn't like the peace that this world can give. So don't be worried or afraid." Many times I have experienced this peace but I long to feel it all the time. That's my goal.
Along with the promises there are two statements that really stood out to me. Verse 6-"I am the way, the truth, and the life!...Without me, no one can go to the Father." This is a statement, there is no vague, wishy-washy what does this mean feeling with this verse. Verse 23""if you love me, you will obey my commands......anyone who does not love me, will not obey". I completely agree with Julie. When we love Jesus, it is a natural extension to obey him. When we are "in Christ" then we need to try as hard as we can to be like Christ which means obeying him.
Julie's last thought was concerning ""Ask anything in my name and I will do it." and what does he mean to ask in his name. I'm not sure exactly what this means but I think that since Jesus is the one who made us right with God, wiped away our sins, and truly established our relationship with God then our prayers need to be in his name.......through him. Last week at our small group someone made the comment that they visualize Jesus sitting at the right hand of God leaning in and whispering in God's ear on our behalf. Telling God about us and how much he loves us. One struggle I have is that I have been praying for something for a few years and I haven't felt that God is answering my prayer, I guess God's timing is different than mine but I'm continuing to pray and trying to remember that he hears me and is working on the best solution. God is in control and he knows best and it will all make sense some day.
No comments:
Post a Comment