I participated in a foot washing service and it truly was a humbling experience. To get down on the ground below a person and pick up their dirty feet into your hands a wash them is not only service, but real humility. The washing of the disciples feet is such a beautiful picture of Christ's ultimate act of servitude to us by his willingness to hang on the cross in our place for the sins that we have committed against him. He humbled himself (the God of the universe) even to death on a cross next to a couple of thieves. Completely mind boggling. It also symbolizes how our soul is cleansed by accepting this sacrifice
In response, we are asked to humble ourselves as well in servitude and attitude. Considering others before ourselves and following the example of Christ. That is such a hard thing to do sometimes when I am so focused on myself and my "needs". When v. 34-35 talks about our need to love others as he has loved us, I feel like it's an impossible task. But when I remind myself of Christ's willingness to die for me and that he loves me so much in spite of the ugliness of my heart, then how can I not be obedient and love others in turn out of thankfulness to him?
No comments:
Post a Comment