Thanks Tammy, Julie and Erin - great thoughts.
I think we often think of uniformity when we hear unity – we think unity means we are the same but that is not the case. Unity means we are united – “to bring or come together in a single unit, to join in a common goal.” We can be different and unified at the same time. In unity our differences don’t keep us apart – or don’t affect our relationship. Unity infers a common bond that is stronger than any difference. As Christians, we have a common bond that should be stronger than any difference we may have. God loves us equally. We each have equal glory because of our position in Christ (verse 22). We each have equal responsibility and ability. We each are equally sinful and “all fall short of the glory of God.” How can the world believe that God loves us when we can’t love each other – if we really believed that God loved the other person as much as He loves us would we treat them differently? We don’t have to be unified in thought (other than the few absolute truths of the gospel) – we have to be unified in love – love for God and love for each other.
This week we will do John chapter 18. Here we see Jesus being arrested. As I read this it seems that everyone is in turmoil – except for Jesus. Look at the responses of the people around Jesus. Judas. The detachment of soldiers and officials (verse 6). Peter. Pilate. Then look at Jesus and His response to what should have been a humiliating, degrading, scary experience.
The peace and calm Jesus displays in the midst of this chaos is obviously supernatural. He knew exactly what was happening and what was coming and he was so determined to do his father's will that nothing ruffled him. I love Tammy's post and as I was reading, did what she suggested; I imagined myself in the midst of that chaos and tried to think how I would have been/reacted. We have the added benefit of knowing a lot more about Jesus, who he is, and where we also eventually will be going than these people did. Even with that knowledge I find myself slipping into anxiety, stress and unbelief. It would be so awesome if I could experience on a regular basis the peace that Jesus did, and the peace he leaves with us because I KNOW he is with me, will give me no more than I can handle and has a place for me for all eternity. I'm reminded of the grumbling and lack of trust of the Israelites in the desert even with the miracle of a pillar of cloud and fire right in front of their faces. Our hearts are ridiculously deceitful!
ReplyDeleteJust heard something this week that I think really applies to what Julie and Tammy have spoken of. Think of if you taped a football game to watch later. Think of how you would feel watching the game if you knew the outcome already - you knew that your team was going to win. You may still not like some of the things that happen - a fumble, a missed opportunity, a hurt player - but it probably wouldn't affect you the same as if you didn't know the outcome. It is much easier to take bumps a long the road if we know that all is ok in the end. I think this applies to how Jesus was feeling at that time but also should apply to us. Don't we know the ultimate outcome? Does that affect the way we view the bumps along the way? Don't we know that God is really in control and really loves us? Does that affect the way we view life's circumstances? Just some things to ponder. Have a great Friday.
ReplyDelete