I think the three words of “It is finished” encompass a great deal of theology. What was finished? Of course, Jesus’ life on earth was finished which meant that many other things were finished or brought to completion at the same time. The wrath of God was satisfied. The law was satisfied (the Old Testament was fulfilled, the penalty for all sin was paid through a blood sacrifice). The distance between God and man that started with Adam’s sin was rectified. Man was reconciled to God. All of this was done through the love and obedience of a perfect and divine man.
This week we are going to finish John and I am going to do it a little differently. For the next four days I will post some comments and questions on a part of John 20 or 21. I encourage you to read those verses and reflect. See if you can find a quiet time each day for those few verses and let God teach you through his Word. Don’t stop with Jesus’ death last week – finish out with His resurrection and His commission. Jesus’ death wasn’t an act of defeat, it was an act of victory. Jesus wasn’t a victim, He was a savior. He died, but then he rose again and after He rose, He gave the disciples and us some important instructions.
No comments:
Post a Comment