Friday, November 18, 2011

He restoreth my soul.

It's pretty cool to think about what a shepherd does for his sheep and how he protects and keeps them. In thinking about the question, "what things compete for salvation?" in light of these verses, I think that one of the things Jesus is referring to is self-righteousness. The Pharisees (thieves and robbers) believed and tried to convince others that their own righteousness and good works could earn them salvation and Jesus teaches that our own attempts actually block our ability to accept the true saving work of Christ. I also took the verses the next step and asked myself, "as the Shepherd is calling me out, what things in life can steal me away or prevent me from listening to his voice". Oh my gosh, there are so many, and I really tend to wander away: worry, anxiety and fear, the need for acceptance and approval, lack of grace with others, etc, etc. Sometimes I feel far from the Lord and down right worn out! It is very comforting when I am reminded that I "shall never perish", and that nothing can take me from my Shepherd's's hand. (v.28) The Lord, in his mercy and comfort, restores my soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment