I enjoyed Julie's insight on this chapter. I agree with her comment "We are sometimes caught up in the form and structure of Christianity". Mary was reacting to Jesus with her heart-although it may have seemed unconventional. Maybe we should learn to Not get caught up in the form and structure of Christianity but instead set our hearts on Christ.
Maybe I should know this (but I guess that's why I wanted to get into a Bible Study) but there are four references to "been given his glory". Verses 16, 23, 28, 41. Can someone help with this concept?
Also, do you ever think that some of the people didn't have a chance because they were "pre disposed" to God's plan. Did Judas have a choice or was his destined to this role in the killing of Christ? Or did God know he was the most likely to betray Jesus so he was who God picked? In verse 40 it states "that the people could not have faith because the Lord blinded the eyes of the people and made them stubborn so they could not see or understand so that they would not turn to the Lord and be healed" Why?
I guess I have more questions than comments on this chapter.
After reading the chapter, here's my 2 cents...
ReplyDeleteI agree with Callie's comments about the "glory" verses. In the translation I'm using (NLT) there are some editorial comments in the footnotes that support what Callie said - that both Jesus' and the prophet Isaiah's statements are referring to Jesus' resurrection and eternal life, which bring ultimate glory to God through Jesus' obedience. At least that's the way I read it!
Regarding your questions about God's plan... I struggle with that concept myself a lot, especially regarding God's omnipotence and our ability to interact with him and his plan through prayer. I have a hard time with any of these ideas that start to get outside the realm of linear time, I guess because that's how our brains work even though God is not bound by the limitations of space and time. The best way I can think about it is like one of those "choose your own adventure books" - God knows and can see all of the possible paths that we can choose to get to the final ending he has planned for his story, but he gives us the freedom to choose which path we take. (I guess he "knows" which one we'll take too, but then my brain starts getting mixed up again with the time/space stuff so I just resign myself to not understanding that part!)
Also, regarding your last question, I think that God sometimes allows us to have what we choose, even if that choice is not for him. So if the people had been stubborn and resisting God for so long, maybe he was saying "Fine. You don't want to see me? Okay, then you won't." ...
This is tough stuff!